We have been forced to cancel this course.
Instead of the classic 1-day course intensive, this new 2-evening series will take place over the course of a week and include homework. This scheduling benefits the attendee by allowing time for the first evening's material to process in the one's mind. The homework given helps ideas to develop, and the course then finishes with the second evening of course material, consolidating and deepening the knowledge and skilled gained.
Core Data is a fundamental Cocoa technology that all serious iOS and Mac developers need to know well. It is also a rather complex framework with some tricky gotchas.
This course will teach you all you need to know to start taking advantage of Core Data in your apps.
You will learn how to build your data models and how to use Core Data as part of a disciplined MVC approach to keep your code clear and maintainable.
Building an app with a non-trivial data model, you will also learn how to deal with some of the trickier parts of Core Data, as well as some useful debugging techniques for when things go wrong. The course will use a test-driven approach to development.
Our tutor, Felix Holmgren, has been making iOS apps since the original App Store gold rush, and created one of the first Swedish iPad apps in 2010. He has extensive experience and knowledge in iOS and Cocoa technologies, from UI components to low-level details.
Prerequisites: basic knowledge about Cocoa programming and Xcode.
What you’ll learn:
• How to set up a data model with Core Data, pitfalls to watch out for.
• Entities and classes – Core Data’s building blocks
• Various ways to access your data.
• Understanding faulting and the life-cycle of managed objects.
• Techniques for optimizing data access.
• How to model non-standard data types.
• Setting up automatic data validation.
• Migrating data when the model changes between app releases.
• Core Data and KVO – useful hooks and tricks.
• Threading issues with Core Data.
• Debugging Core Data.
The course includes documentation, coffee/tea and sandwich.